This is the main reason I am just now catching up on blogging. For five days straight, I basically sat in my parents recliner holding Camden. He got Rotovirus (at least that is what the doctors think it was). He vomited all night long, every ten minutes last saturday night, and then continued vomitting, though not as often for the next four days. One day he had a fever of 104 to go along with it all (fortunately tythenol took care of it). At one point the first night after giving him a bath the first time he vomitted (warning this is gross), he then sat on the toilet for about half an hour vomitting and having diarhea at the exact same time. How do you explain to a two year old why he is vomitting in a bowl and pooping in the toilet all at the same time? He got very dehydrated and the doctor was about to send us to the ER for an IV if a zophran tablet did not help. Fortunately it worked for a day and he could finally get some fluid in him. We went to Brady's hooding ceremony and then that night he got sick again. The next morning my sister (she's an RN), told us to go ahead and try one more half of a zophran tablet that the doctor gave us in case he started vomitting again. It finally kicked it so he could get some more fluids in. Fortunately that was the end of it. He could barely stand all week and shook when he did because his little body was so weak. He's a skinny kid, but got even skinnier. Fortunately his energy level is great now and he is happy and fine. I was told there is a vaccine for rotovirus, but no one ever told me that when Camden was little. I guess most insurances don't cover it or are just now starting to cover it. I guess it is a three dose series by mouth, but has to be started within the first 6 months of life. My recommendation is to get it for your child. I guess A LOT of infants and toddlers are hospitalized with this. We came close, but got very lucky. Lets just say, our future children will be getting the vaccine. I would like to avoid this ever happening with another child if I can help it. This is the sickest either of our children have ever been before.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Rough week - one Very sick child
Posted by
Brady and Rachel
at
10:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Hi Brady and Rachel--I lvoe your blog, your kids are so cute. Sorry to hear Camden was so sick! Jack just got the rotovirus vaccine, but our doctor said she only has been giving it for the last couple weeks. I guess there was an issue with a different version of the vaccine giving kids serious intestinal problems which is why is hasn't been widely use. The doctor's son was hospitalized with rotovirus recently so she did some research and started giving it again. Apparently the newer version doesn't have the problems the older one did.
I also have a question for you! My sister's husband is just finishing his third year of PT school and so they will be starting internships around the country this fall. I promised her I'd ask you how you handled housing. Did you just go places where you had family etc or did you find furnished apartments? For the first internship they can stay with my parents, but after that they aren't sure.
Sorry for the long post! Good luck with your upcoming move (we feel your pain:-)
I'm so glad he was ok and that you didn't have to go to the hospital with him!!
That is the hardest thing ever. When we moved to Oklahoma Ezra had the same thing for a month before they diagnosed him, since we didn't know anyone and had no insurance it was rough. What a blessing you had family close by to assist. Wow, what a trooper, both you and Camden. The good news is, how grateful you are for healthy bodies huh?
:( ...glad he's feeling better and it didn't get as bad as it could have gotten! poor boy! what a toughy!
Post a Comment